Naufar Moulavi Rejects 940 Charges
The prosecution concluded presenting its evidence last week, after which the accused began presenting their defence statements from the dock.

Naufar Moulavi, the first accused, addressed the court for nearly two hours and denied allegations that he had acted together with Zaharan Hashim and other individuals involved in the Easter Sunday attacks.
He told the court that 940 charges had been filed against him in connection with allegations that he participated in activities promoting extremism and terrorism and undermining national unity.
Naufar Moulavi rejected all the allegations and maintained that he had no involvement in planning or carrying out the Easter Sunday attacks.
Claims CID Confession Was Not Voluntary
During his defence statement, Naufar Moulavi also challenged the confession allegedly recorded by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) following his arrest.
He claimed that statements had been recorded and later presented to him for signature, while alleging that he had been assaulted during CID custody.
He further told court that he had complained about the alleged assault when he was initially produced before a Judicial Medical Officer.
Naufar Moulavi argued that the confession attributed to him was not voluntary and should therefore not be considered valid.
Makes Claims About Zaharan Hashim and NTJ
The first accused also made several allegations concerning Zaharan Hashim and the National Thowheed Jamaath (NTJ).
He claimed that Zaharan’s organization had been registered at the Kattankudy Divisional Secretariat and alleged that extremist activities had taken place during 2015 and 2016.
Naufar Moulavi further alleged that attacks against Muslim-owned properties and places of worship had occurred during that period, while claiming that authorities had failed to take adequate action.
He also alleged that there may have been political or state backing behind some of those activities. These claims were made as part of his defence and remain allegations presented by the accused.
Denies Relationship With Zaharan During Relevant Period
Naufar Moulavi told the Trial-at-Bar that he had no relationship with Zaharan Hashim between 2007 and 2017.
He acknowledged knowing Zaharan because Zaharan had married a woman who was a relative of his and said he also knew Zaharan’s brother, Rilwan.
However, he firmly denied having any connection to the Easter Sunday attacks or any conspiracy associated with them.
At the conclusion of his defence statement, Naufar Moulavi requested that the court acquit him and order his release from all charges.
Other Accused Also Present Defence
Meanwhile, the 20th accused, Zainul Abdeen Mohamed Jaseem, the 21st accused, Mohamed Musthapa Mohamed Rizwan, the 22nd accused, Meera Sahib Mohamed Nafli, the 23rd accused, Mohamed Ameer Mohamed Ayathulla, the 24th accused, Mohamed Ansardeen Mohamed Ilmi, and the 25th accused, Mohamed Akram Ahakkam, also presented their defence statements from the dock.
The court was further informed that the 18th accused in the case has died.
The trial continues as the accused persons present their respective defences before the Colombo Trial-at-Bar.
The allegations and claims contained in the defence statement are those made by the accused and remain subject to determination by the court.
Read more articles like this on www.srilankanpost.com
